Homemade Pesto Recipe
We all reach for a convenient jar of ready made pesto, but making your own homemade pesto is mindful dinner making, it clears your mind of anything you have endured in the day and you just focus on grinding everything together. When you eat your bowl of pasta or spread the pesto onto bruschetta you end the day on a high.
One taste of this homemade pesto transported me back to my childhood, my dad use to find small owner run restaurant that were always outstanding. I was back at Villa d’Est, Durban in the 1980’s.
- 25g pine-nuts
- 45g fresh basil leaves (stems removed)
- pinch of salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 55g finely grated Parmesan
- +- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Using a pestle and mortar add the pine nuts and grind until they form a creamy cohesive mass.
- Add the basil leaves and a tiny pinch of salt, in circular motions grind the basil leaves into the pine nuts.
- When the basil leaves have broken down into tiny pieces add in the garlic clove and grind to a paste.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and stir and grind until the thick green mass comes together.
- Now drizzle in the olive oil until you reach the desired consistency, thick and chunky or if you add more oil you will have a sauce like consistency.
If pine-nuts aren't available almonds or cashew nuts work well.