Sosaties Cape Malay Kebabs
Sosaties are a traditional South African kebab, marinated in Cape Malay flavourings, using either chicken, lamb or beef and threaded with dried apricots, onions and mixed peppers.
The Cape Malays settled in Cape Town South Africa, but originated from the Dutch East Indies and their cuisine draws on their Indonesian roots.
The marinade takes on the Indonesian spicing of turmeric, cumin, ginger and garlic, similar to satay and brings in the very South African/Dutch use of apricot jam and vinegar in their marinades and traditional cakes. The result is a mildly spiced kebab, that will be enjoyed by children and adults alike.
Vegetarian and Vegan
For vegetarian and vegan readers you can add the marinade to thick cubes of firm tofu and your favourite vegetables could be threaded onto kebab sticks and cooked on the BBQ or under the grill. You could also make the vegetables as shown below as a traybake and add the tofu towards the end of the baking process.
Sosaties are a wonderful addition to your mid-week dinner menu, prepared the night before and cooked in less than 30 minutes on the day.
I recently made the recipe below as an easy traybake with a variety of vegetables and a few pieces of chicken, rubbing the marinade (with gloves on) into chicken, butternut, sweet potato, courgettes and aubergines. Although not traditional, it made my son eat all the vegetables he dislikes, because the marinade is that delicious.
BBQ/Heritage Day Menu
We love sosaties in the summer, added to a South African style BBQ (Braai) served with my Boerewors Burgers and classic potato salad. To end the South African feast, a lovely bowl of Caramel & Mint Tart can be served. In the UK we can no longer buy Peppermint Crisp bars and I make the tart with Quality Street Matchmakers Cool Mint instead.
- • 600g chicken breast diced
- • 2 Tablespoons mild curry powder
- • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- • 1 teaspoon turmeric
- • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- • ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- • 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- • ½ teaspoon red chill powder,
- • 1 teaspoon ginger, powder
- • 2 fresh bay leaves
- • 4 Tablespoon apricot jam
- • 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- • 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 peppers, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- Dried Apricots
- Mix the marinade ingredients together and stir in the chicken, ensuring that the marinade covers the chicken well.
- Cover and refrigerate the sosaties for as long as you can, a few hours or overnight.
- Thread the apricots, peppers, onions and chicken onto skewers and BBQ or grill.
- In a frying pan, add the onions and peppers and cook until they have just taken a little colour.
- Add the chicken and any sauce and stir fry on a low heat, until everything is cooked through.
- Keep stirring to prevent the marinade from burning.
- Serve as a plated meal with rice and salad or as part of a BBQ with salads and bread rolls.
Sosatie Tray Bake
Enjoy your tasty kebabs.