Rocky Road Recipe
We were invited to friends for tea on Sunday and I asked what I could bring, a treat for the children was requested. Most children love Rocky Road, I tweaked the traditional recipe slightly, by adding healthier dark chocolate and using Date Nectar instead of golden syrup. Neither of my tweaks were detected by the children, all they could taste was a hint of caramel courtesy of the Date Syrup.
- 200g butter
- 4 Tablespoons golden syrup or Date Nectar
- 400g malt biscuits, crushed
- 150g mini marshmallows
- 125g Dark 60% chocolate (you can use milk chocolate)
- 125g White chocolate (can be omitted)
- Line a 30cm round tin at least 5cm deep or 24cm square tin with greaseproof paper.
- In a glass bowl large enough to hold all the ingredients, melt the butter and syrup together in the microwave.
- Add the crushed biscuits and marshmallows to the syrup/butter mixture, stirring well to combine.
- Melt only the dark chocolate, add this to the biscuit mixture and stir till everything is deliciously chocolatly.
- Spoon the mixture into the lined tin and press until everything is nicely compacted together. If you leave gaps eveything falls apart when you cut the Rocky Road into pieces.
- To top your Rocky Road with a cuppuccino coloured drizzle melt the white chocolate in the same bowl as the dark chocolate, or if you want a contrast, melt the white chocolate in a separate bowl. When the white chocolate has melted, drizzle this over the Rocky Road mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in fridge for at least an hour before serving.
- Cut into slices or squares and enjoy.
A great way to consolidate your chocolate Easter eggs melt down all the chocolate and make a batch of Rock Road
A great super bowl treat.
Idea: If you are traveling to friends take the Rocky Road in the tin and plate it up when you arrive.