Vegan Carrot Coconut Soup
Looking at 1kg bag of carrots, I decided to turn it into a soup, using ginger, garlic, onion, carrots and coconut milk with a hint of chopped red chilli. This was a quick and easy lunch that was filling yet healthy and unintentionally a vegan soup. The coconut milk gives the soup a wonderful richness.
The vegan carrot coconut soup is mildly flavoured, you can punch up the flavourings with more garlic, ginger and chilli or even add a stick of lemongrass. I enjoyed the simplicity of the recipe, however, some days say when you have a cold, you may want to add more ginger and chilli, to open your airways. As with all food taste often and adjust the seasoning before serving.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 kg carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- red chilli finely chopped to taste
- 500ml water
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 vegetable stock
- salt to taste
- Fry the onion, garlic, ginger, chilli for a couple of minutes.
- Add the carrots and fry gently without colouring for 5 minutes, they will look lovely and glossy.
- Crumble in the vegetable stock, stir to coat the vegetables and add the water.
- Put a lid on and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the carrots have softened.
- To test press a carrot on the side of the pot, if it breaks in half it is ready to be blended.
- With a stick blender blend the soup till smooth.
- Then add the coconut milk and blend again.
- Or if you prefer a chunky soup add the coconut milk and serve,
- Fot a thinner soup, add a splash of water until you are happy with the consistency.