Curried Cabbage Recipe
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ green pepper, sliced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ head cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 125ml water
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Serve over
- Maize meal, mashed potato, polenta or rice see notes
- In a lidded pot soften the onion in the oil until light brown.
- On low heat add the green pepper, garlic and spices, and cook until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the cabbage, stock cube, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and water and cook for 10 minutes with the lid on. Cook for a further 10 minutes with the lid off or until the sauce is reduced and thickens. Season to taste and serve.
Serve cold as a side salad or inside a sandwich.
In autumn, this would make a wonderful vegan bunny chow (add the mixture into a hollowed-out crusty bread roll or scoop into a hallowed white loaf of bread cut in two halves).
The cabbage can be served over rice, mash, or in baked potatoes