Spinach & Artichoke Pasta
This is a great recipe when you need something different for Meat Free Monday or for a tasty midweek meal. You can also use your favourite Mac & Cheese recipe, just add a cup of defrosted or freshly cooked, chopped spinach and run some quartered artichokes through the sauce.
So simple yet delicious.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons Plain Flour
- 3 cups milk
- 30g grated cheese (cheddar and feta or anything you have in the fridge)
- 1 stock cube
- 1 cup cooked or defrosted spinach
- 4 artichokes (tinned), quartered
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 500g pasta
- Make a white sauce by melting the butter, adding the flour and slowly adding the milk to make a sauce.
- Add the spinach and cheese into the white sauce, stir until all your cheeses melt.
- Add the grated nutmeg and stock cube.
- Stir until the stock cube is incorporated.
- Add the sauce to the bowl or dish you are going to serve your pasta in.
- Keep the sauce warm in a moderate oven, if you want to serve the Artichoke and Spinach Pasta straight away.
- In the same pot (no need to wash it out), boil the pasta.
- Once the pasta is cooked, add the pasta to the spinach and cheese sauce and gently stir through the artichoke quarters.
The pasta can be served as a bake if you need a meal to prepare ahead of time. Make the pasta and sauce, add everything to an over proof dish and cool.
You can add extra cheese or breadcrumbs to the top of the bake.
Baked in the oven at 180 degrees until golden brown, this takes about 15-20 minutes in a preheat oven at 180 degrees.