Open some tins, add a dressing allow the salad to macerate in a jar or glass bowl, overnight and keep it for a week, sound too good to be true? Welcome to the Bean salad of the 1980s.
- 1 tin red kidney beans
- 1 tin lima beans
- 1 tin butter beans
- 1 tin French Style green beans
- 1 tin baked beans in tomato sauce
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 green peppers finely chopped
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup of vinegar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon basil
- Drain all the beans (except the baked beans in tomato sauce) and rinse in a strainer to remove the excess starch.
- Place in a large container with a lid.
- Add the baked beans in tomato sauce.
- Add the chopped onions and green peppers.
- Add the dressing and stir everything well or pop the lid on your container and turn it upside down a few times.
- Leave the mixture to marinate for 24 hours before serving, this really helps improve the flavour.
- Serve with cold meats, as a side to a BBQ, on a buffet table or pot luck addition, great in a lunch box.
- The mixture will keep in the fridge for over a week, you can always dip in when you don't feel like cooking.
Great lunch box meal.
A great make-ahead Pot Luck salad