Best Crumble Topping
Crumbles are a great comfort food and a fab way to teach children and non cooks how to make a dessert on their own. It covers the basic skill of peeling, coring, chopping and in some cases even frying.
After making another batch of my Crunchies, I wondered if the mixture would work as a crumble topping. The good news is with one tweak this is the most delicious crumble topping.
I made my crumble by adding chopped fresh apples and pears into an oven proof dish and adding a sprinkling of cinnamon over the fruit. I felt with the amount of sugar in the topping the fruit, didn’t need anymore sugar added. Then I simply scattered the crumble mixture over the fruit. If you use any fruit that may require more than the 20 minutes of cooking time which the topping needs to cook, poach or fry your fruit before baking.
This is a wonderful dessert after a Sunday roast and other comfort foods. The crumble can be made with gluten free flour and oats for celiacs and by replacing the butter with a sunflower spread you can serve vegan friends and family too.
- 1 cup (250ml) Plain Flour (or gluten free flour)
- 1 cup (250ml) Porridge Oats (or gluten free flour)
- 1 cup (250ml) Desiccated Coconut
- 180ml Light Muscovado Sugar
- 125g Butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- Fruit of your choice apples, pears, berries, rhubarb, plums etc
- Set the oven to 160℃.
- In a large bowl and using a fork, mix together to combine the oats, flour, coconut, and bicarbonate of soda.
- Place the butter and sugar into a pot, stir to melt the butter and incorporate the sugar. Stir constantly otherwise the sugar may burn, this will take about 3 minutes.
- Add and stir the butter and sugar mixture into the dry ingredients until well combined.
- Spoon and almost scatter the oat mixture loosely over the fruit and bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve warm with custard, cream or ice cream.
Hope you enjoy this delicious crumble.
Love this dessert, really tasty
Hi thank you for your feedback, I am so happy to hear that you made the crumble and loved it. I appreciate you taking the time to write to me. Marissa