Adzuki Bean Tacos
Tacos are such fun to serve be it for a mid week meal or a gathering of friends. I will often make them with minced meat but, I thought I would make them with some Adzuki beans I had in the cupboards. The beans can come out of a tin and the variety can be your favourite, but it is always more nutritious to soak and cook the beans from fresh. The cooking time for the soaked beans is much longer than if you used tinned beans, so balance that with what time you have to cook. The recipe with soaked beans will take a good hour to cook. If you are making the recipe with tinned beans use all the ingredients as they are, just omit the measure of the tin of water and cook the beans for 10-20 minutes so that all the flavours amalgamate.
Serve the Tacos filled with shredded lettuce, guacamole, salsa and I have switched to Greek yoghurt instead of sour cream as it is as delicious and healthier.
Bowl Food Beans
I also like serving these bean as bowl food. Ladle the beans into a soup bowl and instead of taco shells serve tortilla chips. Dolloping all the toppings onto the beans and serving the tortilla chips separately. Individually dipping the tortilla chips into the beans and toppings, makes for an interactive and fun meal.
- 2 cups of beans soaked overnight ( I used Adzuki)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tin chopped tomato
- Use the tin from the tomatoes to measure a tin full of water
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 red pepper
- 2 bayleaves
- 1 teaspoon Asoephatida
- 1 Tablespoon cumin ground
- 1 Tablespoon coriander ground
- 1 Tablespoon crushed chili
- 1-2 clove garlic crushed (optional)
- To serve
- Taco Shells
- Grated Cheese
- Natural Greek Yoghurt
- Shop bought Salsa
- Homemade Guacamole
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 spring onion or small bunch of chives chopped
- 8 cherry tomatoes quartered
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- Optional chili to taste
- Salt and Pepper
- Fry the onion and green pepper until softened.
- Add the garlic and spices.
- Stir in the soaked over night but raw aduki beans.
- Stir the beans to coat them in the spices.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and the tin full of water, simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are soft and the tomato sauce has thickened.
- Stir often.
- Serve in a Taco Shell with guacamole, salsa, cheese and yoghurt.
- Homemade Guacamole
- Mash the avocados and add the lemon juice.
- Add the spices, salt and pepper and stir through.
- Stir in the spring onions or chives and chopped tomatoes.
- Serve and enjoy
Use any tinned beans you enjoy to make a speedier meal, just omit the tin full of water if you are using tinned beans.
Serve Vegan Cheese and Vegan yoghurt as the toppings
A did you know tip, if you buy your salsa in the Crisp (Chips) aisle you get a bigger jar of Salsa for less money?