Cheat Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
I was given this Cheat Tomato Basil Soup recipe by my friend Bridie who was served a bowl of steaming soup and artisan bread by her mother-in-law Ailsa, a retired home economics teacher. Bridie described this as fresh tasting and she is right you wouldn’t know that you have just mixed two tins together.
I’ll confess I have made many tomato soups in search of the perfect one, but my children always prefer Heinz tomato soup! This recipe uses Heinz as the base so I’m 50% there in them loving the taste, which they did. With a tin of chopped tomatoes, a handful of basil, a dash of Worcester sauce and balsamic vinegar this is a great store cupboard soup.
- 1 tin of Heinz Tomato Soup (no other brand will do)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon each of Worcester sauce and Balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- a small handful of fresh basil (about 20 small leaves)
- Optional to serve:
- Artisan Bread
- Cream to drizzle on the top
- Add all the ingredients, except the basil into a pot and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
- Once heated through, blend the soup with the basil and serve with a few drops of cream and crusty bread.