Crab Mango Coriander Starter
This is a wonderful, easy-to-chop-together crab and mango starter. The freshness of the mango is enhanced with the distinctive coriander flavour, and the crab adds a lift to the starter. I added a little celery for crunch and the trick to this is to make sure everything is chopped as small as your patients will allow. It is super quick and easy to make and light and addictive to eat. For people with shellfish allergies or vegans, you can omit the crab.
I love making this at any time of the year. Before a heavy meal, it is light and refreshing and goes well as a canape with a glass of bubbles. In winter or over the festive season, I serve this as a sit-down starter, with some Finn Crisps or a few cucumber rounds. Finn Crisps are only 20 calories per cracker and have a distinctive sourdough flavour, yet they taste neutral when paired with this, pates or cheeses.
- 1 fresh mango cut into a very small dice
- 100g white crab meat (fresh or tinned)
- a handful of coriander chopped finely
- 1 rib of celery chopped into a very small dice
- juice of 1 lime
- fresh or dried red chilli to taste
- Salt and red chilli to taste
- Mix all the ingredients and adjust the amount of lime juice or corriander to taste.
- Ideally mix the ingredients just before serving or up to a maximum of 1 hour.
- Serves 4 as a sit down starter or 6 as canapes.
Tinned mango and tinned crab work well if you cannot find fresh, compensate with a little more lime juice and corriander to freshen the mixture.