Meat Free Monday – Chickpeas
When looking to add chickpeas to your diet consider making something other than houmous, try this quick and easy chickpea stew. Eaten as a bowl food dinner topped with sour cream or yoghurt and guacamole or made into a wrap. It takes 10 minute to cook and everyone loves it.
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 green pepper, sliced thinly
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tin of chickpeas (400g)
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon ground coriander
- Fresh or crushed chilli to your taste
- handful of freshly chopped coriander
- Optional Garnish
- Grated cheese
- Sour Cream or yoghurt
- Heat the olive oil in a deep sided frying pan.
- Add the thinly sliced onions and green peppers to the oil. Fry to your desired texture, a quick few minutes to keep the vegetables crunchy or longer to soften the vegetables. The texture does not change the dish, it is just personal preference.
- Add the chickpeas to the onions, green pepper and add the spices, stir well to coat the vegetable and chickpeas with the spices.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stir until everything has combined together, simmer on low for 10 minutes. (Cover with a splatter guard if you have one or a lid half on half off as you want the tomatoes to reduce to a lovely thick consistency) it will help reduce the cleaning up as the tomato does splatter.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander.
- Assemble the wrap by spreading your guacamole and sour cream or yoghurt on the bottom of the tortilla, top with the thick chickpea mixture add grated cheese, roll and enjoy.
- If you want to keep away from the carbs you can serve the chickpeas as a stew in a bowl topped with guacamole, sour cream or yoghurt and grated cheese.
- Enjoy your healthy meal.
Spread some of the mixture onto each wrap.
Roll and place each filled wrap into a greased baking dish.
Add a jar of tomato pasta sauce over the wraps.
Sprinkle with cheese and bake in medium oven 180'C/Gas mark 4 for about 15 minutes or until the cheese bubbles.
Sever with the guacamole and sour cream.