Aubergine Curry Recipe
Most aubergine curry recipes are made with with either chunks or wedges of aubergines and served in a spicy sauce. This unique recipe uses roasted, mashed aubergines and pepper that are added to the tomato and onion spiced sauce. The flavourings of the spices are absorbed by the aubergines and you are left with a very authentic, delicious tasting dish.
I have tried to make the same recipe by cutting chunks of aubergine and frying them and then adding them to the onion, tomato and spices and it is good, but the flavour of the mashed roasted vegetables are much better.
I often roast the vegetables up to a day in advance and then fry the onions, tomatoes and spice mixture minutes before dinner needs to be on the table.
This recipe can be served to vegans, paleo and keto dieters, vegetarians, as well an exciting Meat Free Monday dish.
To make a midweek dinner more fun and to entice my non-aubergine loving son to look forward to dinner, I add poppadoms and chutneys as a starter and turn a aubergine curry into an Indian style dinner.
- 2 aubergines
- 1 garlic clove cut into 6 pieces lengthwise
- 1 red pepper
- 2 large onions, finely diced
- 3 tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon mango powder (optional)
- chopped fresh coriander to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Stud the two aubergines with the pieces of garlic and wrap each aubergine individually in tin foil, place the aubergines onto a baking tray.
- Wrap the red peppers in foil and bake together with the aubergine at 200 degrees until they are soft. This will take about 30-40 minutes depending on the size of your aubergines.
- While the vegetables are roasting, fry the onions in a little olive oil until they are light brown.
- Add the tomatoes to the onion mixture and stir through and add in all the spices.
- Peel and mash the aubergine and pepper with the back of a fork, reserving any juices and add them to the onion tomato herb mixture.
- Add the mashed aubergine and peppers to the onion tomato mixture and cook until the liquid reduces and the mixture turns brown.
- When the mixture has cooked through, add a ¼ teaspoon of the optional mango powder.
- Serve with rice or naan sprinkled with fresh coriander.
For Paelo and Keto dieters you can serve the curry with cauliflower rice.
The history behind the recipe:
This delicious and unusual Aubergine curry recipe was given to me by my friend Manisha, who is an amazing cook. Mani learnt to cook with her talented mum in Delhi. Her mum was a wife to a Doctor in the Military, there were many meals prepared and impromptu dinners made for homesick officers and visiting dignitaries. This has made my friend one of the most talented cooks I know.
An added bonus is that Mani’s mum makes a fragrant garam masala and over the years I have been fortunate enough to be added to the list of recipients of Mani’s mum’s garam masala. Made in India and brought back for me by my generous friend. I hope now that I have have hounded Mani to write down her mums recipe I will still receive the very special garam masala the next time she does back to India…..let’s see.
Mani and her amazing mum