Avocado Houmous Recipe
A very quick and easy houmous to blend together. Combining the avocado and chickpeas resulted in my non-houmous eating son dipping and enjoying this combination. My daughter said it reminded her a little of guacamole. We enjoyed with crisps as a nibble before a BBQ and with our meal spread over pitta bread.
I did boil the chickpeas to soften them and make a slightly smoother sauce, but you can skip this step.
It is so much more economical to make your own houmous so if you haven’t tried to whizz a batch or haven’t done it in a while, give this recipe a try.
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground to a powder
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1 avocado, retain the skins for garnish
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Optional ½ teaspoon crushed chilli as garnish
- Tip the chickpeas and the liquid from the tin into a pot and boil the chickpeas for 20 minutes until there is only 4 tablespoons of chickpea water left. You can skip this step if you want an even chunkier houmous.
- In a blender add all the ingredients, blend until smooth, cool and refrigerate.
- Spoon into a container or into the reserved skins.
- Enjoy as a dip, in a sandwich or with crudités.