Jason’s Prawns with Feta Nando’s and Lemon
Tangy, creamy with a little kick, this recipe is a family favourite. My husband always makes a pan full for our anniversaries, birthday’s and any celebration, it was passed down to him from his Dad. Sometimes we use shelled prawns, on midweek celebratory days, when we were time poor. I know in some parts of the world the fishmongers will devein the prawns for you, I have yet to find one in the UK that will.
Our favourite supermarket prawns are M&S Madagascan shell on organic prawns and the best are from the Fish Mongers at our local farmers market in West Malling, Paul at Arcadia Fisheries.
- 1 block (250g) feta, crumbled
- 500g prawns
- 20g chopped parsley
- 60-80ml lemon juice 1-2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon Nando’s medium sauce
- or 1 teaspoon peri peri powder or to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Serving suggestion
- Salad of your choice
- In a frying pan add a 30g butter and a whole garlic clove.
- Heat the butter and add the deveined prawns of your choice.
- Cook the prawns on either side but not fully, just until the skins turn pink on either side.
- Add 80% of the lemon juice, holding back a few tablespoons in case it is too over powering and stir the lemon juice in to coat the prawns, gently so the heads do not detach.
- Then add the crumbled feta, in an even layer over the top of the prawns, don't stir for a minute just let the feta start to heat through. then add the Nandos, paprika and parsley, and start to gently stir.
- Once everything has been stirred together pop a lid on and let the ingredients simmer for a minute together very gently. Now taste is there enough lemon? If not add the remaining two tablespoons in teaspoon increments, you can't adjust the lemon out if you are too heavy handed, so this step is essential. Usually it's spot on in the end but sometimes the lemons are so citrusy that they overpower all the ingredients.
- When you have the right amount of lemon add more paprika, seasoning and add more Nandos if you prefer the prawns to have a kick.
- Serve over rice with crusty bread and a salad.