The Best Mince Pie Pastry
This is the most delicious and the Best Mince Pie Pastry recipe, kindly given to me by my daughter’s Godmother, over 20 years ago who is wonderful baker.
You may gasp at the ingredients, but trust me it is worth the extra calories. The flavour, taste and flakiness that you achieve by using double cream are like none that you would have ever tasted before.
I have given an estimate of how many pies this pastry will make. It depends on how thick you like your pastry, whether you make a small or large mince pie and if you make cut outs for the top or not.
I always make my own mincemeat mixture using Delia Smith’s Christmas Mincemeat Recipe, mince pie lovers will be singing your praises for creating these delicious festive treats and non-mince-pie lovers will become converts.
This is a great make-ahead recipe, as you need to make the pastry the day before it is needed.
- 3 cups plain/all purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup double cream
- icing sugar for rolling the pastry out
- Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs (as if you are making a crumble topping).
- Stir in the double cream.
- The mixture will be quite sticky.
- Form the pastry into a sausage shape and wrap in cling film.
- Allow the pastry to rest overnight.
- Take the pastry out of the fridge and roll out on a board dusted with icing sugar to prevent the pastry from sticking when rolling.
- Roll to your thickness and shape.
- Bake at 190 degrees until the pastry is light brown in colour.