Vegan Olive Muffins
The vegan olive muffins are so easy to stir together, the recipe is handy if you have limited baking equipment or living in student accommodation.
A tasty addition to your lunch box, a snack for after school, breakfast on the run, a coffee morning treat and little savoury offering to have in the house.
Orange juice may seem like an unusual addition, the flavour is very subtle in the muffins, adding a wonderful moistness and fluffiness to the muffin. You can use either smooth or with bits orange juice, they both work well.
This recipe was given to me by my cousin Maria and baked by her daughter Alexandra when we visited them, they were light fluffy and vegan! The original recipe was given to Maria by her godmother and it now spans three generations of quick vegan olive muffin making.
Contrary to public perception the Greek cuisine has many vegan bakes. Mostly driven by the need to follow the festivals within the Orthodox Christian calendar, which requires a vegan diet before communion can be taken.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup chopped black olives, dry
- 1 Tablespoon dried mint
- ½ cup of room temperature water
- ½ cup sunflower oil
- ½ cups fresh or 100% orange juice from a carton
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Grease a fairy cake tray with 12 holes.
- Add the dry ingredients into a bowl and stir.
- Mix in the olives and coat with the flour.
- This will help suspend them when they bake.
- Add the liquid ingredients and mix to just combine the ingredients together.
- The mixture will look very wet, that will add to the moistness.
- Using an ice cream scoop or two tablespoons, fill the tray ¾ of the way up as the mixture rises but not by much.
- Bake 180 for 20 - 25 minutes or until the muffins are light brown in colour and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes in the tray before removing.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Chop the olives into very small pieces for mini muffins.
Use a deep 6 hole muffin tray to make larger olive muffins.
Add more olives if you prefer up to 1 cup or less if desired.
If the mixture is too stiff add a splash more orange juice.