Aubergine Pepper Pasta Sauce
A light fresh and easy to make pasta sauce that will satisfy vegans and meat eaters alike. Using a roasted aubergine and pepper.
This is a great easy to make ahead pasta sauce. When you have the oven on for another meal like a Sunday roast, wrap an aubergine and pepper in tin foil and bake until they are very soft. There is no need to oil the aubergine and a pepper as you will add oil to the sauce. This recipe works well with ready roasted peppers from a jar too which is what I used.
The sauce is made by blending a small red onion, one fresh tomato, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, vinegar, garlic, the roasted aubergine, pepper and stir this through your cooked pasta. This made for a fresh and nutritious tasting pasta sauce, that my non-aubergine eater ate and enjoyed. You could add handfuls of your favourite chopped herbs basil, mint, coriander or parsley and it is also tasty served plain or with a hint of chilli. It is a very simple pasta great in winter served with grated halloumi or feta, or in summer as a warm salad and topped with chunks of either cheese. or plain for vegans.
- 1 roasted aubergine (skin removed), roughly chopped
- ½ a fresh or ready roasted red pepper from a jar (20cmx20cm) skin removed, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic or to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 fresh tomato, roughly chopped skin on
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar see note
- Add dried chillies or chilli oil
- Fresh herbs like parsley, coriander or mint
- 1 bag of your favourite pasta (I used orzo pasta Greek klitharaki)
- cheese to taste feta, halloumi, parmesan or cheddar
- Add all the ingredients into a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour over the pasta add enough sauce to coat, any extra is delicious as a dressing or dip for bread or crisps.
- Serve warm or this would make a great pasta salad.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Sprinkle over your cheese of choice and if using chopped fresh herbs.
- If you are making this as pasta salad add in freshly chopped vegetables, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, sweetcorn or whatever else you enjoy.
If you are making this as pasta salad add in freshly chopped vegetables cucumbers, rocket, cherry tomatoes, sweetcorn or whatever else you enjoy.
Taste and adjust the seasoning and add a drizzle of olive oil.