Pea Pesto and Rocket Soup
A vibrant green nutritious and easy to make soup on a cold winter day. I’ve served this as a canape in an espresso cup with cheese straws, used this recipe numerous times as an after swimming dinner for the children, when they were younger, it is always loved. The recipe is made in minutes and all ingredients just need to be boiled together and are found in your store cupboard, fridge, and freezer. I love thicker soups, so add a little cornflour, which is not essential.
For anyone not partial to rocket, you do not taste this as an individual flavour and nutritionally the rocket adds so much to the soup, as well as giving the soup more body.
For the readers in the southern hemisphere, you could serve this chilled in summer, as you would a gazpacho.
- 300ml water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- +-250ml milk (to finish the soup)
- 375g frozen petit pois
- 2 spring onions chopped
- ½ lime or lemon juiced
- 4x15ml teaspoons fresh pesto or to taste
- ½ packet of fresh rocket (washed)
- 2 tablespoons cornflour diluted in ⅓ cup of water
- Season to taste
- In a medium pot add the water, add peas, spring onion, and lime juice to the pot let everything bubble for 5-7 minutes.
- Spoon in the pesto and add the rocket to the pea and water mixture, stir until the rocket wilts and the pesto is thoroughly mixed this will take a minute or so.
- With a stick blender or in a blender, process the soup until your desired texture, smooth or chunky.
- Add the soup back to the pot and add the milk or coconut milk for vegans, little by little to the pea mixture, until the soup is at the thickness that you enjoy.
- Serve with a chunk of bread, cheese straws or pop in a thermos for a lunch on the run.
You can use a small red or white onion if you don't have spring onions.
Thin the soup with a can of coconut milk.
Use a vegan stock cube.
Add 2 Tablespoons cornflour diluted in ⅓ cup of water if you prefer a thicker soup, stir for a further 3 minutes or until the soup has thickened and if you taste a little the flour isn't floury.