Smashed Avocado with Gherkin Rocket Peppadew
We all love smashed avocados, however, you may be bored and want something a little zingier? Try this combination of Smashed Avocado with Gherkin Rocket Peppadew.
The peppery undertone from the rocket, the mild but not overpowering spiciness you get from a few sliced peppadews and incorporating a few chopped gherkins for sweetness, freshness and a welcome crunch, this combination of Smashed Avocado, with Gherkin, Rocket and Peppadew could become your new favourite.
Versatile to be made and served as brunch topped with crispy bacon or tofu, it can lift a poached egg on toast, top a canape or can be smeared onto the base of any burger: veggie, beef, chicken, tofu or portabello mushroom.
The best recipes are devised with what can I do with what I have in the fridge. I had a bag of rocket, peppadews, an avocado, and sliced gherkins. I needed to add some veg to my son’s burger and he really doesn’t enjoy rocket. I didn’t have any iceberg or cos lettuce so I mixed what I had and crossed my fingers that the avo and gherkin which he enjoys, would disguise the rocket he doesn’t. The recipe was a silent triumph for me as a mum, as my son ate and enjoyed the burger.
Ideas for Smashed Avocado Gherkin Rocket Peppadew
- In summer spoon the smashed Avocado, with Gherkin, Rocket and Peppadew on a cracker as a canape
- Smeared onto the base of any burger: veggie, beef, chicken, tofu or portabello mushroom.
- An easy brunch idea served on a slice of toast or mini pancakes topped with a poached egg
- It would be a delicious vegan or Meat Free Monday meal topping a baked sweet potato
- Added to the base of a tortilla wrap filled with salad, meat or tofu
In winter when you need a lift and distraction from the cold outdoors, make a burger and have summer on a plate meal
A quick note on Rocket and why it is so healthy:
Vitamin K, C and A
Rocket contains two antioxidants zeaxanthin and lutein which help keep the eyes healthy
That is why I was happy my son got a little rocket into his body.
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 handful chopped rocket
- 4 peppadews sliced
- 2 slices of gherkin, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise vegan or regular
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all the ingredients into a bowl and mix, season to taste and add more mayonnaise if you prefer a creamier relish.