Parmesan and Smoked Cheese Gougères
- 100ml water
- 45g butter
- 60g plain flour
- 100g whole eggs (2 medium eggs) lightly beaten with a fork
- 50g smoked mature cheddar, finely grated
- 25g Parmesan, finely grated
- Add the water and butter to a small pot and bring the ingredients to a gentle simmer to melt the butter.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the flour, the mixture will form a smooth dry ball of roux, before adding the beaten egg ¼ at a time and mixing well after each addition.
- Stir the egg well after each addition and then add the grated cheese. The mixture will be glossy and a cohesive ball.
- Using two teaspoons roll the mixture into walnut-sized balls or you can gently do within the palm of your hand. The mixture can also be piped using a round or star-shaped nozzle onto baking paper leaving space between each one for them to expand.
- Put into a preheated oven at 180°C for 18-20 minutes approx. until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
Make, cool and store for 3 days in an airtight container or freeze once cooled until needed.
To reheat bake at 180 degrees C for 5-10 minutes or until crispy, serve and eat straight away.